Monday 27 October 2008

Crazy





I'm not hungry, I'm not sleepy, I have a sore throat for all this shouting and have given myself a headache. I heard TaTa making an appointment at the vet for Wednesday. For some reason I find myself listening to Country & Western songs my favourites are: Blue Eyes 'A-Crying, In the Heart of a Siamese, I Can't Stop Loving Yow, Yeow Lonesome Meow. Muddle looks so gorgeously delicious. TaTa and KeKe had two hours sleep last night and KeKe was late for work. I don't care - I just want to make kittens and I will scream and yowl and moan and yell until I do. Surely a BoyCat can hear me in Scottishland - what do I have to do - put an ad in the mewspaper? I have even tried to hypnotise Muddle with my laser gaze but TaTa says he is neutral. Find me a TomCat nooooooow neeeeooooow.

A note from TaTa: I would love Tizit to have kittens but it would lead to a lot of heartache when it came to homing them also there are other reasons: a single un-spayed female cat can produce three litters a year, with an average of 4-6 kittens a year. This is just too many to add to the thousands that are in cat shelters. Personally I have no problem with feral cats as they serve a useful purpose in keeping down the rodent population and nature will only allow the strongest to survive. But sadly most feral cats are from domestic cats who give birth outside a domestic environment because they have been dumped by their owners. Un-spayed female cats go into heat several times a year. By spaying your cat, you can prevent several unwanted activities including spraying, hours of yowling or the fear of your cat escaping in order to find a mate. It is better for your cat's health to be spayed or neutered. For example, female cats that are spayed have a reduced chance of mammary cancer, and will be unable to develop pyometra, which is a serious uterine condition that can cause death.

Unfortunately and understandably a lot of people do not have their cats spayed or neutered because of the cost. Also a lot of animals suffer because owners cannot afford prohibitive vet bills - yes there are insurances but these usually have a £50 excess and do not cover certain things. Vets can basically charge what they like, the PDSA only gives free or reduced care to those on housing benefits or council tax benefits and the RSPCA also do not offer a free or reduced service. This can lead to people abandoning their pets or worse. Recently I paid almost £100 to have Twizzle put to sleep - this was for one blood test and one lethal injection - this not only added to the trauma of living with the consequences of my decision to end her life but somehow changed my relationship with my vet because he charged me to give him permission to kill my pet.