Friday 27 June 2008

I am Siamese not Thaiamese



Hello Michelle. Sorry to hear about your kitty and I am glad you liked the poem.

Here I am with my bestest friend Douis just about ready to perform a scene from The King and I. Ta's hersis Je is a very good dancer especially the Salsa. Ta has 3 hersis and 1 herbro. There is Je, Ka, Ja and Co. They have children called Mo, Jo, Da, Li and Ja and they live in America, Thailand, and England.
Thailand used to be called Siam (สยาม) until 1939 when it was changed to Thailand; it was renamed Siam between 1945 and 1949, after which the name Thailand was once again adopted. Very confusing for us Siamese.
So how did we Siamese get into the UK?

In 1884 Owen Gould the British Consul-General, was given a pair of Siamese cats as a parting gift by the King of Siam - King Chulalongkorn, the son of the king featured in the musical The King and I. Naturally we raised considerable interest. So much interest that Owen Gould was granted permission to exhibit my ancestors at The Great Exhibition held at the Crystal Palace in Hyde Park, London England.

This exhibition was attended by heads of state and dignitaries from around the globe, thus spreading the news of the new oriental breed far and wide and Siamese kitties soon became very much in vogue.