Tuesday 1 July 2008

Sunshine again!




  • Sunshine is lovely - it makes me feel all relaxed and sleepy. But us cats must be looked after in the sunshine.
  • How to help your cat avoid heatstroke: If I get too hot Ta strokes me with a damp cool cloth and puts a cold water bottle in my bed for a cool spot to lie on. She leaves several bowls of cool water available some with ice cubes in which are great to pat with your paw. I even have a fan for when I am on the windowsill indoors. I don't go outside yet because I am not old enough and something might scare me. Anyway I have heard there are still frogs in the garden. Big Blob Muddle brought one in the house and it tasted terrible - not anything like the baby birds that Douis gave to me. Ta took them away as I think she was hungry.
  • Sunburn: Cats with white fur, ears or faces are particularly susceptible to sunburn. Over a period of time, exposure to the sun can cause squamous cell carcinoma, a cancer found most often on the tips of the ears and nose. Early signs are a sore that does not heal, or that bleeds. Cats with white fur, ears or faces should be kept out of direct sun as much as possible, and if I am in the sun Ta uses a special cream from the gorgeous vet (do not use human sunscreen as these contain nasty things that are not good for cats).
  • If your cat gets anxious, pants, drools, collapses, seems disorientated, refuses to drink during a hot spell - take them to the vet immediately. Wrap them in cold towels and put in coolest part of car. Otherwise your darling pet could die.