Tuesday 3 March 2009

The Cat Windmill



Windmill 'The Cat' (De Kat) is one of the remarkable windmills in the Netherlands (Zannse Schans) which is fully restored and accessible for public.Where most of the windmills used to pump the water out of the fields to higher water canals and rivers, this one is now presented as a windmill where colour pigment is made. In 1959 a windmill builder called Husslage rebuilt the original windmill from one built in 1646. It is the only windmill in the world that makes colour pigment. The mill grinds raw materials such as chalk to make pigments for paints in the traditional time-honoured way.
TaTa says today it rained most of the day and she has been reading. Tomorrow she has a visit from John. I talked to her today on the tellyphone and told her I am very excited about my new sister who is coming on April 6. TaTa says she is very lonely without me. She says a house is not a home without an animal in it - so maybe Gert comes home to a pony in the garden. She is going to the dierenasiel (animal sanctuary) tomorrow to do some voluntary work so maybe she will feel better. I had a very nice time in my luxury hotel with Muddle - he slept all the time but he is old and I talked to everyone about everything. Now I must start to make the house ready for my new sister because us Siamese are the boss in the house and we have to make it ours - so a little more shredding of the stair carpet, a few hidden poops, more kneading of the cushions to make them softer and push more things to the ground that get in our way when walking on high surfaces. I am so busy.