Wednesday 23 December 2009

Crecelle





My cats were suddenly very agitated and shouting to go outside. So I went into the garden to investigate and what do I find ... a kestrel. Exhausted, hungry and with one wing slightly hanging down and a broken talon. As I am a Falconer all I can say is 'thank you Universe'.

After a quick examination I put him (now named crecelle) into a cardboard box and covered the box with a towel. Then into a quiet and warm room. This is to calm him. After a while - probably about 2am I will see how he feeds and further examine. To try and feed or more intensely examine now could cause stress and he could die. This is why photo is so fuzzy because I took flash off so as not to scare the living daylights out of him.

The name Kestrel derives from the French crécelle, meaning 'to rattle', a reference to the bird's call (the French name is crécerelle). They are marvellous little birds - one of my favourite birds of prey. If and when he is well enough he will be released into the wild.