Tuesday 1 December 2009

Travel sickness

It always happens - a couple of days before setting off somewhere the travel anxiety sets in. Don't know where it came from because it hasn't been a lifelong thing and there is nothing I an associate it with. It sort of started when I came to the UK - maybe it's the thought of being trapped on an island whereas the continent everything was accessible and Canada everything was huge and attached to the US, Mexico and South America.
It's part excitement and part adrenalin - the anticipation of what may happen. We will miss the train, I will forget my passport, the train will be late so we will miss Eurostar, the Channel Tunnel will collapse and we will miss the TGV, we'll get off at the wrong station etc etc.
None of these things have actually happened ever. I was in a near miss over Chicago O'Hare - that didn't put me off flying. Weird how fears, phobias and irrational thoughts start. I have all these stupid rituals in place now - don't pack until the day before, always wear the same clothes to travel in, write yet another Will, don't say goodbye to anyone (even the animals).
Then the travel begins and it all goes away and I am programming the SatNag, hanging out of windows of trains, talking French and am completely at home. Anticipation, fear of the fear that might be... "Fear is a tyrant and a despot, more terrible than the rack, more potent than the snake."
---- Edgar Wallace - The Clue of the Twisted Candle (1916)